The main aim of EstLat-Accelerate is to prepare and carry out three pre-acceleration programmes that are jointly organized in Tartu and Riga. Each round of pre-acceleration takes about four months and has a specific ICT focus that varies from programme to programme.
Project: EstLat-Accelerate (Pre-accelerator programme for boosting Estonian-Latvian startups)
Duration: 1 May 2017 – 28 February 2019
Total ERDF funding: 454,920 €
ERDF funding for University of Tartu: 77,520 €
Each round of the pre-acceleration programme has four distinct phases – involvement, hackathons, mentoring and graduation. In the involvement phase, efforts are focused on engaging potential entrepreneurs from both Estonia and Latvia in the programme and selecting participants for the next phase. The hackathon phase, starting with ideation workshops for idea improvement, is designed to encourage cross-border team creation and to narrow down the circle of participants to teams with the most promising ideas.
The teams who pass the hackathon phase are admitted to the mentoring programme, which is a series of individual meetings and joint events with highly experienced entrepreneurs and business coaches. After getting feedback to their business ideas and advancing their business models with the help of mentors, the startup teams graduate from the program by pitching their work to potential investors at graduation days. All in all, the pre-acceleration program will lead to the creation of about ten new companies by the end of the project.
The project will be realized by three Estonian and two Latvian partners:
- Baltic Innovation Agency – project management, overall coordination, monitoring and analysis
- TechHub Riga – coordinating the pre-acceleration programmes and communication
- University of Tartu – carrying out the mentoring programmes in Estonia
- Garage48 – organizing ideation workshops and hackathons in Estonia and Latvia
- Latvian Startup Association – carrying out the mentoring programmes in Latvia